Nagaland Discovery with Hornbill Festival : Dec 2nd to 10th'2023
Get an in-depth insight into the heritage, culture, and lifestyles of the different Naga tribes in this very experiential one-of-a-kind journey. This trip is packed with experiences from exploring Kohima town, visiting the cultural heartland of Mokokchung, exploring the villages of the tattooed former headhunters of the Konyak tribe in Longwa and Mon, trying out different naga cuisines, and last but not the least having the unique experience of witnessing the Hornbill Festival, an extravaganza which showcases the culture, heritage, cuisines, art and dance forms of the different Naga tribes.
Cost: Rs 39500/- per person
Start Date: 2nd Dec’ 2023
End Date: 10th Dec’ 2023
Duration: 9 Days
Group Size : Min 5 | Max 10
Theme: Culture, Adventure, Experience
– Witness the art and dance forms of the different naga tribes dresses in their traditional attire at the Hornbill Festival
– Meet some of the last surviving face tattoed Konyak Headhunters
– See the natural beauty of Nagaland during the drives from the south to the north.
– Try the cuisines of the different Naga tribes
– Visit Longwa village straddled between India and Myanmar
– Visit Mon, the wild east of Nagaland
– Visit Mokokchung ( and surrounding villages )the cultural hub of Nagaland
Day 1 : Dec 2nd – Saturday : Dibrugarh
Arrive in Dibrughar and transfer to hotel. Overnight at Dibrugarh.
Day 2 : Dec 3rd – Sunday : Dibrughar – Mon – Longwa( 185 kms / 7.5 hrs )
Today we start early for the journey to Longwa in Mon district. Mon is the wild east of Nagaland and is the land of the Konyak tribes who have been head hunters in the recent past. Arrive by the afternoon at Mon and after lunch and onwards to Longwa village at the India – Myanmar border. One of the biggest villages in Mon district, the village straddles the international boundary between India and Myanmar with half of the Angh’s houses falling within India and the remainder in Burma. Overnight in Longwa.
Day 3 : Dec 4th – Monday : Longwa
Today we explore Longwa. Longwa is a beautiful little village overlooking the fields of Myanmar and the people living on the Myanmar side are also of the Konyak tribe and have the same language. Explore the villages of Longwa, visit the Ang ( chief) and meet some of the last remaining tattooed headhunters. Overnight at Longwa.
Day 4 : Dec 5th – Tuesday: Longwa to Mokokchung ( 190 kms / 8 hours )
After breakfast, we start for Mokokchung located at 4600 feet and the cultural nerve center of Nagaland. Mokokchung is also considered are the town of pioneers in Nagaland, largely inhabited by the enterprising Ao tribe. See the views of the beautiful Wokha district on the way and enjoy local dishes at our stops. Arrive Mokokchung by afternoon and explore the town and rest. We also visit Longkhum: The vanguard village at 6056 feet. As an old Naga saying goes, “a single visit to Longkhum is not enough, for your soul stays behind the first time and you have to return there once for more to get it back”. This saying springs from the fact that Rhododendrons adorn the hillocks and the precipices surrounding it, providing an astounding sight during full bloom. An animist religion called Limapur still exists in this village, where a few families worship a God called LonglanpaTsungrem.Overnight at Mokokchung.
Day 5 : Dec 6th – Wednesday: Mokokchung to Kigwema ( 160 kms / 6 hrs )
After breakfast leave for Kigwema near Kohima, the main venue of the Hornbill festival. We stay at a beautiful homestay near the festival venue. Watch the evening programs of the festival. Overnight at Kigwema.
Day 6 : Dec 7th – Thursday : Kigwema
After breakfast, we spend the whole day at the festival witnessing the different cultural events, music festivals, art, and handicraft shows and exploring the different food stalls from the different tribes. Overnight at Kigwema.
Day 7 : Dec 8th – Friday : Kigwema – Kohima – Kigwema
After breakfast head out to explore Kohima. In Kohima we visit Naga Market, Kohima War Cemetery and Kohima Museum. After lunch we head back to Kigwema and catch some of the afternoon and evening activities at the festival. Overnight at Kigwema.
Day 8 : Dec 9th – Saturday : Kigwema to Dimapur ( 85 kms / 3 hours )
Today is the last day of the festival and we witness the activities till afternoon and later we leave for Dimapur. Overnight at Dimapur.
Day 9 : Dec 10th – Sunday : Dimapur
After breakfast transfer to airport. End of tour.
– 1 night stay at Dimapur, 3 nights stay at Kigwema, 1 night stay at Mokokchung, 2 nights stay at Longwa, 1 night stay at Dibrugarh ( twin / triple / multiple sharing )
– Breakfast on all days
– All land transfers and transportation in SUV
– Service charges
– Flight Charges ( ONWARD – Dibrugarh and RETURN – Dimapur)
– Any extra excursions and tours other than those mentioned
– Entry tickets & Camera charges at sightseeing points ( wherever applicable )
– Dinner & Lunch
– Other than those mentioned
- Rs 1500/- Discount ( For repeat travelers )
- Rs 1500/- Discount ( For 2 to 4 person booking together )
- Rs 2500/- Discount ( For 5 or more people booking together )
- Stay will be in Standard category hotels and Bed n Breakfast places with good reviews on double/triple sharing basis. * Due to shortage of rooms / hotels at Kigwama / Kohima during the festival time Kigwama stay will be multiple sharing while other places will be double / triple sharing.
- Indian and local food is available at all places.
- Breakfast ( Included ) will be mostly Indian breakfast.
- Transportation and transfers will be in SUV.
For this trip
Our Offbeat Nagaland tour is designed for experience-seeking exploring travelers who are interested in experiencing offbeat places and cultures with basic to standard level of comfort and long-distance drives. This is one of our most unique trips and not many organizers in India do this route.
For all our trips
Our small group tours also allow enough time for yourself ( mostly in the evenings ) and the group leaders will assist you too if you need to do your own thing.
Stay and the food is a big part of the travel and we make sure you are made comfortable and therefore we choose some of the best-reviewed places to stay and eat.
We try to incorporate more local experiences on our tours with the help of our experienced tour leader and local guides to make your experience even more memorable.
Our tours are not standard sightseeing package tours, it’s more experience-oriented so as to give a real travel value to the guests.
Who are we?
Exotic Expeditions is an experiential based travel company founded in 2010. We are based out of Bangalore and Mumbai and we create uniquely designed tours that have high travel value. We include activities, local interactions, and offbeat destinations so that the guests go back with experiences to remember for a long time.
What are all included in our tours?
A comprehensive list of inclusions and exclusions is mentioned on the respective trip page, but across all our trips, we have these in common: private transfers, breakfast on all days, good accommodation, unique experiences, expert guides and an experienced trip leader who’s there to assist you around the clock.
Are flights & visas included in your costs?
No.We don’t include flights and visa costs in our prices unless specified. We, however, will help you with booking flights and getting the visa done.
What is the typical group size?
We believe that a small group is can enjoy the journey better and have closer interactions with the group members, therefore, we restrict our group size to a maximum of 15. Group size typically between 5 and 15. Our travelers are
friendly, open-minded, well traveled and we have a good gender mix on our tours.
Who can join this trip?
Anyone above 18 years of age can join our trips. Participants below the age of 18 must be accompanied by an elder.
Which cities do travelers come from?
Our travelers come from all over India. Bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi, Pune, Chennai, Hyderabad and Calcutta are represented the most.
What are the payment options?
You can make payments through credit and debit cards, net-banking, cash or cheque. Installment options are also available.
Can solo travelers join one of the tours?
Yes. On most of our tours, we have a high turnout of solo travelers seeking a different travel experience. Many of them even end up becoming friends after the tour.
How safe is it to travel with you?
Your safety is our number one priority and we design our travel journeys keeping this in mind.
- You can contact us at email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call / whatsapp us at 9986450370
- Bookings can be done by online bank transfer / cash/ cheque or credit / debit card
- Installment options are also available